Hi, I'm Smokey
German Shepherd Dog Dutch Shepherd | Adult | Male | Large
I’m discovering the good life after a pretty rough start! I get hugged a lot now, get regular meals (and treats!), and have a yard to run around in. I’m still a little nervous around new people – that’s understandable – but after a while, I’m the life of the party!
I like to pick a toy out of the toy box, usually a ball or a bone. Then I toss it in the air, and chase it. The bones don’t go far, but those balls are really tricky! Sometimes my foster brother gets it first, then we have to chase each other to see who gets to keep it.
I really like having my foster brother around, and when I go to my forever home, I want to have a forever brother or sister. Having a canine companion makes me feel more confident.
I don’t really like being in my crate, but I put up with it when no one’s home. I’d really rather be out with my family when they’re around. Would you like to be my family?
- Age and weight: I'm 7 years old, and weigh 65 pounds.
- Good with kids: Yes
- Good with other dogs: Yes.
- Good with cats: Unsure
- Fenced yard: Required.
- Suitable for townhouse and/or apartment: I could live in a townhouse, but not an apartment.
- House trained: Yes.
- Crate trained: I'm OK in a crate for short periods of time, but I prefer to be out
- Barks when left alone: No.
- Chews inappropriate items: Sometimes, but if I have toys I find them more interesting.
- Training: I know the basic commands: Sit. Stay. Come.
- Activity level: Moderate
NOTE: We are an all volunteer group and do not operate a shelter. All of our animals are in foster homes. We are unable to place our animals outside of the Baltimore/DC area.
Smokey is planning to be at the next adoption show, May 20th at the Annapolis PetCo, although there is always a chance that plans will need to be changed at the last minute.