Hi, I'm Elmo. I’m adopted!
Beagle | Adult | Male | Medium
Although Elmo was a stray, his expertise in cuddling and snuggling seems to indicate he was once part of a loving home. He loves puzzles, games, searching for hidden treats and belly rubs. Above all, he enjoys being part of a family. He follows his foster family from room to room and loves to be included in conversations.
He enjoys morning, mid-day and evening walks but likes to keep them short. After 15 minutes or so, he is ready to head for home. Elmo is curious and pleasant with strangers, has not shown any aggression towards other dogs and shows little interest in birds and squirrels. He does have a very strong reaction to rabbits. Elmo is a scent hound, which can lead to some pulling while walking on a leash. However, his foster family has noticed a lot of improvement in his leash-walking skills.
Elmo has not barked at all inside his foster home, even when left alone. He is not crate trained but is housebroken. Elmo has been well-behaved staying at home alone for up to 8 hours, although he is able to jump over baby gates, and does. Elmo is learning basic commands, such as sit and stay, and requires consistency in setting limits regarding standing to sniff at whatever’s on the table and kitchen counters. He is very intelligent and seems to enjoy the challenge and stimulation of training. That also expends a fair amount of his energy. Due to his quiet nature, Elmo would do well in a town home. However, a home with a fenced yard would provide him with opportunities to pursue scents without the restriction of a leash.
- Age and weight: I'm 5 years old and weigh 38 pounds.
- Good with kids: Yes, with kids over 8.
- Good with other dogs: I’m good with other dogs.
- Good with cats: I'm not good with cats or other small animals.
- Fenced yard: I really need a fenced yard to run off my energy
- Suitable for townhouse and/or apartment: I could live in a townhouse, but not an apartment.
- House trained: I am already house trained.
- Crate trained: I'm OK in a crate for short periods of time, but I prefer to be out
- Barks when left alone: I do not usually bark when left alone.
- Chews inappropriate items: I do not usually chew inappropriate items.
- Training: I am working on the basic commands: sit, stay, come, down.
- Activity level: My activity level is moderate.
NOTE: We are an all volunteer group and do not operate a shelter. All of our animals are in foster homes. We are unable to place our animals outside of the Baltimore/DC area.
Elmo is NOT expecting to attend the next adoption show, August 27th at the Bowie PetSmart, although there is always a chance that plans may need to change at the last minute.