Hi, I'm Wolfie.
Labrador Retriever Mix | Young | Male | Medium
Wolfie came into the shelter as a stray, so we don’t know much about his past, but it appears someone has worked with him. He came to us knowing “Sit” very well and apparently entirely house trained. Not sure how he ever got skinny, but he will fill out fast because he REALLY likes to eat. He has been known to like to snack on shoes, so will need to be given lots of bones and chew toys of his own and be taught the appropriate items to play with.
His major flaw is he is a dedicated counter surfer (best cured with impeccable management). However, he is smart, eager to please, very motivated by food, and learning everything fast, including heel, fetch, beg (very good at this one!) and stay. In order to keep him from begging while we’re eating, we have him stay on the couch, and this has become quite routine.
Wolfie is highly energetic, and happiest after a long romp and play session (preferably with another dog). The adage goes “a tired dog is a well-behaved dog”, and this is certainly true of Wolfie.
Wolfie loves company, so if you don’t want him on your couch with his head in your lap, at least provide a comfortable doggy bed close to where you’ll be. He has worked out very well with his foster brother, but we don’t know how he would be with cats or other small animals.
- Age and weight: I’m 3-4 years old, and weigh about 45 pounds. I might put on a bit of weight.
- Good with kids: I'm good with kids over 10 years old
- Good with other dogs: Yes.
- Good with cats: Unsure
- Fenced yard: Required.
- Suitable for townhouse and/or apartment: I need a single family home
- House trained: Yes.
- Crate trained: I'm OK in a crate for short periods of time, but I prefer to be out
- Barks when left alone: Not sure.
- Chews inappropriate items: Yes, but can be redirected.
- Training: I know the basic commands: Sit. Stay. Come.
- Activity level: Very High
NOTE: We are an all volunteer group and do not operate a shelter. All of our animals are in foster homes. We are unable to place our animals outside of the Baltimore/DC area.
Wolfie is NOT planning to be at the next adoption show, May 20th at the Annapolis PetCo, although there is always a chance that plans will need to be changed at the last minute.