Hi, I'm Lilo. I’m adopted!
Maltese Yorkshire Terrier Yorkie | Young | Female | Small
Lilo was adopted August of 2016.
Before becoming a foster with the PGSPCA, Lilo came to the Prince George’s County Animal Shelter as a stray. Her foster parents think she is a Maltese-Yorkie mix. Her age has been estimated by veterinarians as between three to five. She still acts like a young pup, though, and her foster mom estimates she is about three. She is very playful: she chases her tail often at very high speeds and will entertain herself for hours with toys. She is also very sweet; she enjoys being carried, sitting in your lap, and snuggling in bed.
Lilo knows some basic commands, including sit, come, and stay, and is food motivated and eager to learn. She is pretty well housetrained but will occasionally have a pee accident in the house. She gets along wonderfully with other dogs, though sometimes they get irritated when she wants to play and they do not. She has also done well in a home with a cat.
Lilo will need to remain in foster care through at least August 5, 2016, as she is recovering from surgery for luxating patella in both back knees on July 22, 2016. It is anticipated she will have a full recovery after surgery, though she will likely need to remain on a joint supplement lifelong. One slightly odd behavior Lilo has is growling rather often, even when she is being friendly, such as when she is being petted or is giving kisses. Her foster parents are not sure why she does it, but they think she is just talking or purring similar to a cat!
- Age: I am 3 to 5 years old.
- Weight: I am 10 lbs.
- Good with kids: Not sure.
- Good with other dogs: Yes.
- Good with cats: Yes
- Fenced yard: Not required.
- Suitable for townhouse and/or apartment: OK for townhouse or apartment, as long as I get enough exercise
- House trained: Pretty much, though I do have an occasional accident.
- Crate trained: No, and I don't need one!
- Barks when left alone: No.
- Chews inappropriate items: No, though I do like to destroy doggy squeaky toys.
- Training: I know the basic commands: Sit. Stay. Come.
- Activity level: Laid back
- Special needs: I need daily joint supplements.
NOTE: We are an all volunteer group and do not operate a shelter. All of our animals are in foster homes. We are unable to place our animals outside of the Baltimore/DC area.
I will be attending the next adoption show, August 13th at the Big Bad Woof in Hyattsville, although there is always the change that plans may need to change at the last minute.